If you’re experiencing electrical problems in the home, could it be one of these common problems?
Easy, non-hazardous issues
Loose Outlet Plug
First, switch off the breaker and then check the voltage to the outlet (using a volt meter or plug in another appliance). Remove the outlet cover plate and add shims until flush with the wall outlet.
Damaged Light Switch
Turn off the circuit breaker (light will go out when you choose the right one). You can use a flat screwdriver to take off the front cover and a further screwdriver to remove the lamp. Test the two wires connected to the screw for electricity. If it is safe, disconnect and replace the lamp.
Basic Short Circuit
Many electrical appliances like fans or hair dryers for example, can often trip or short circuit meaning you’ll need to reset the breaker. Repeating events with the same appliance indicates that the issue is with the appliance and not the electrical system. If it’s not the appliance – there could be a short in the wiring so seek help from a professional. For an Essex Electrician, contact a site like SM Electrical Ltd, a leading Essex Electrician.
Flickering or dimming lights
This could be a sign of a bad relationship and can lead eventually to loose or damaged/corroded connections only making occasional contact resulting in triggering, overheating and even fire.
Light Bulbs Burn Out Often
If you’re experiencing frequent lightbulb blowouts, it can be more serious than simple overuse. You may have a loose connection in the socket or circuit. If you have recessed lights that keep failing, this could be down to insulation causing the lights to cut off, as they are designed to do when they overheat.
The death of an outlet can result from a poor tripping connection or a circuit breaker tripping due to excessive heat buildup resulting in melted wires or outlets.
Warm outlets or switches
If the switch in question is not a dimmable variety, warmth on the switch or outlet is a great cause for concern and must be examined by a professional immediately.
Commonly tripping breakers
Typically this is a sign of overloaded circuits that are using too much electricity. You must add circuits or consider upgrading your electrical service.
Don’t let electrical problems get on top of you and seek professional help. DIY is never a good idea when it comes to dealing with electricity. It’s not like hanging wallpaper or regrouting the bathroom – electrical problems can be really dangerous!