The gas supply to your home or business premises is a crucial utility which you cannot afford to be without for an extended period.

Image Credit

The winter months are when it is likely to be disrupted, either as a result of problems with your boiler, internal pipes or external supply, including your gas meter box.

The Gas Safe Register website provides a service enabling you to find a registered engineer in your local area either by entering your postcode or calling a helpline.

Image Credit


You will be able to check that the engineer visiting your premises is the correct individual via the Check an Engineer service provided on the website, by entering the engineer’s ID card details.

Once you have found your engineer you will be able to rely on them to source all the equipment or parts you need for repairs including boilers, piping and anything else required, such as a gas meter box available at sites such as sell gas meter boxes.

It is vital that you use the Gas Safe Register when you need expert help and advice. By law all businesses working with gas supplies must be on the register, which is the only gas registration body for engineers in the UK, Guernsey and the Isle of Man. Registered engineers will have achieved their accreditation through assessment and training programmes.


The register is a unique list of qualified engineers and should not be confused with a trade organisation or membership body. Many people will be familiar with the term, ‘Corgi registered’, but the Gas Safety Register replaced this accreditation across the regions during the period April 2009 to April 2010 and is operated on behalf of the relevant Health and Safety Authority in each region.

One of the things the register does is to continually monitor and carry out inspections of the individuals and businesses on the accredited list, ensuring gas competence.

They also investigate any complaints of failure to comply with Gas Safety Regulations and any violations of Building Regulations which relate to England and Wales. They will also apply sanctions where breaches of the rules have taken place. Illegal works will be reported to the Health and Safety Executive.

Note that the Gas Safe Register cannot recommend an engineer, nor can they arbitrate disputes between you and your contractor.